What is Cerdelga (eliglustat) and the way is it used?
Cerdelga (eliglustat) is a prescription drugs used for the long-term therapy of Gaucher illness kind 1 (GD1) in adults.
Cerdelga shouldn’t be utilized in sure folks with Gaucher illness kind 1. Your physician will carry out a check to be sure that Cerdelga is best for you.
What are a very powerful negative effects and different information about Cerdelga (eliglustat)?
Cerdelga can have an effect on the best way different medicines work and different medicines can have an effect on how Cerdelga works. Using Cerdelga with different medicines or natural dietary supplements could trigger an elevated danger of negative effects.
Especially inform your physician if you happen to take:
- St. John’s Wort (Hypericum perforatum)
Or drugs for:
If you are taking any medicines for the situations listed above, your physician could must prescribe a distinct drugs, change your dose of different medicines, or change your dose of Cerdelga. Tell your physician about any new medicines earlier than you begin taking them.
Avoid consuming or consuming grapefruit merchandise whereas taking Cerdelga. Grapefruit merchandise can enhance the quantity of Cerdelga in your physique.
Other negative effects of Cerdelga (eliglustat)
Cerdelga, used with sure different medicines, could trigger adjustments within the electrical exercise of your coronary heart (ECG adjustments) and irregular coronary heart beat (arrhythmias). Tell your physician when you have new signs corresponding to palpitations, fainting, or dizziness.
The commonest negative effects of Cerdelga embrace:
Tell your physician when you have any aspect impact that bothers you or that doesn’t go away. These aren’t all of the potential negative effects of Cerdelga.
Call your physician for medical recommendation about negative effects. You could report negative effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
What is the dosage for Cerdelga (eliglustat)?
- Take Cerdelga precisely as your physician tells you to take it.
- Your physician could change your dose if wanted.
- Take Cerdelga capsules entire, ideally with water. Do not open, crush, or dissolve capsules earlier than swallowing.
- Cerdelga might be taken with or with out meals.
- If you miss a dose of Cerdelga, take the subsequent dose on the regular time. Do not take two doses of Cerdelga on the identical time.
- If you are taking an excessive amount of Cerdelga, name your physician or go to the closest hospital emergency room immediately.
Cerdelga (eliglustat) contraindications, being pregnant security and drug interactions
It shouldn’t be identified if Cerdelga is protected and efficient in youngsters.
Before taking Cerdelga, inform your physician about your whole medical situations, together with if you happen to:
- have coronary heart issues, together with a situation referred to as lengthy QT syndrome
- have a historical past of a coronary heart assault
- have kidney or liver issues
- are pregnant or planning to grow to be pregnant. It shouldn’t be identified if Cerdelga will hurt your unborn child.
- are breastfeeding or planning to breastfeed. It shouldn’t be identified if Cerdelga passes into your breast milk. You and your physician will determine if you happen to ought to take Cerdelga or breastfeed. You shouldn’t do each.
Tell your physician about the entire medicines you are taking, together with prescription and over-the-counter medicines, nutritional vitamins, and natural dietary supplements.
Medically Reviewed on 4/17/2020
Article courtesy of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration